The placenta offers many benefits to a mama in the postpartum period. It provides hormones, iron rich nutrients, proteins and chemical substances.
- Placental Opioid-Enhancing Factor (POEF): Helps reduce pain by stimulating your body’s natural production of opioids. Aids in releasing endorphins and enhances feelings of well being
- Prolactin: Promotes lactation; increases milk supply; enhances the mothering instinct.
- Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone: Aids in mammary gland development for preparation to lactate, regulates mood and reduces postpartum cramping.
- Human Placental Lactogen (hPL): This hormone has lactogenic and growth-promoting properties; promotes mammary gland growth in preparation for lactation in the mother. It also regulates maternal glucose, protein, and fat levels.
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH): Balances the thyroid gland and increases energy.
- Corticotropin Releasing Hormone (CRH): Regulation of CRH helps prevent depression.
- Cortisone: Reduces swelling and inflammation and promotes healing
- Oxytocin: The LOVE hormone. Creates the bonding effect between mother and baby. Helps to decrease pain and counteracts the stress hormone. Reduces postpartum bleeding.
- Urokinase Inhibiting Factor and Factor XIII: Stops bleeding and enhances wound healing.
- Interferon: Triggers the protective defenses of the immune system to fight infection.
- Iron: Replenishes maternal iron stores to combat anemia. Increases energy and decreases fatigue and depression.
- Hemoglobin: A molecule thats carries oxygen and provides increases in energy.
- Immunoglobulin G (IgG): Antibody molecules which support the immune system.
- Prostaglandins: Regulates contractions in the uterus after birth and helps the uterus return to its normal size.
You have the choice between Raw or Traditional Chinese Method (TCM) for your encapsulation. The placenta is picked up from the hospital or your home after you deliver, brought to my home, and the process is done in accordance with all of OSHA guidelines met.
This method requires cleaning the placenta, removing the umbilical cord, dehydrating the placenta for a minimum of 12 hours, grinding it into a powder, and placing the powder into gel capsules. This method skips the step of steaming. It is dehydrated at 160 degrees to follow the FDA guideline for raw food dehydration.
Traditional Chinese Method (TCM):
The Traditional Method of preparation for placenta encapsulation follows this protocol: the placenta is cleaned, the umbilical cord is removed, and the placenta is steamed with organic lemon, ginger, and hot pepper (such as jalapeno or cayenne.) The placenta is then dehydrated for 8-12 hours, ground into a powder, and placed into gel capsules.
- Pick up of placenta from place of birth (hospital, birth center, home)
- Encapsulation process (48/72 hour turnaround from time of pickup)
- Includes umbilical cord keepsake (if possible)
- Delivery of completed package to the home either by myself or overnighted thorugh mail delivery
$250 for non-doula clients
$25 additional for multiples
$25 Placenta Tincture (a 6 week fermentation process in a high grain alcohol. 1 drop = 1 capsule and can be used well into later years for hormone balancing, as long as it’s stored properly).